Web or mobile App – which is just right for your business?
Is a mobile app better than a web app?
Are you having such questions constantly lingering in your mind?
Then, rest assured you are not alone in this debate. A lot of users and developers are going to have an opinion about which to use for your business. But at the end of the day, all you can do is analyze the facts and then choose which one suits your business. Since you alone best knows what your business needs.
Whichever you choose, you have to first understand the benefits of web and mobile apps. This is crucial to understand first before making the big choice between a web and mobile app for your business.
For mobile Apps, below are some astonishing facts about them.
- Nearly 90% of mobile internet time is spent on apps. (eMarketer)
- Most users have more than 10 apps installed on their phones. (Statista)
- 21% of millennials say they open their apps more than 50 times per day. (The Manifest)
From the data above, we can see that man’s new best friend is his mobile phone. So one can understand why the mobile app industry has increased over recent years, generating over $156 billion in revenue in 2022.
That is not it. On the other hand, the web apps are also performing well and are giving a lot of advantages to their users.
Web apps on the other hand, are also amazing in their own right. There are a lot of advantages they provide their users. Which includes but not limited to:
- Web apps update by themselves and do not require manual intervention.
- Web apps can be used on all platforms – Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.
- Web-based applications are Internet-accessed apps. They are accessed through the mobile’s web browser. Hence, you do not need to download or install them.
To help you better make the choice between a web app or mobile app for your business, you have to first know their differences.
Web App or Mobile App: What Is The Difference?
Most people think that mobile Apps and web apps are similar. But they are not. They are two very different technologies.
The differences are not just for the end-users but also the developers.
One must first understand that a website and a web app are two very different things, as was pointed out extensively in this article.
Mobile App Vs. Web App
Native mobile apps are designed for a specific platform like Android for Google, Samsung, Moto devices, or iOS for the Apple iPhone. They must be downloaded and installed via an app store and should be given access to the system’s resources like camera, GPS, notifications, etc. Mobile apps reside on the device itself.
Big tech companies like Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Instagram etc. Have a web App and also a mobile App version of their services. This is because these companies understand that having a mobile version of their web app is good for retaining their users worldwide, as these users have a piece of their business in their most private place (their mobile phones of course!).
Web apps are accessed via an internet browser. Their design is made to fit into whatever device it is being viewed on(they are responsive). Since these apps are hosted on a server online and any device with an internet connection can access them. This eliminates the nightmare of building the same of for different platforms (Android and IOS).
If you choose to use a web app for your business, you have to know a few things. A web App can only be accessed with an internet connection, as it cannot work offline. This can make them a bit slower than a mobile app. But then with a mobile App, you need to update them manually while web apps update automatically
Benefits Of A Mobile App
- Personalization is one of the most important benefits of using a mobile application when compared to a web app.
- Mobile apps can be customized according to the user’s needs and preferences to use the application.
- Mobile apps allow users to save their data, adjust setting preferences, and share media files on their social media accounts easily.
- The specialized features, functionalities, ease of use, and sophistication will enhance the user’s experience of the business.
- Mobile apps are so profoundly convenient that people can shop, order foods, purchase anything from the comfort of their homes. Thanks to e-Commerce apps.
- Mobile apps load quickly, provide a great user experience, navigates faster, and it is easy to use. What more could convenience mean. It tends to people of all generations.
- Mobile apps are revolutionizing the healthcare practices, political sector, and entertainment industry, and financial sectors in unimaginable ways.
3. Supports Online And Offline
- The key feature of a mobile app is it can be used offline. The details can be synced later if needed.
- The mobile apps are revolutionary, one of the main reasons for gaining traction.
- Users do not need to fret about not having an internet connection. All they require is a battery backup.
- AI technology plays a great role in mobile app development for a great future.
4. Faster than web apps
- Mobile applications are relatively faster than web apps.
- Quicker connectivity is one of the main reasons why people prefer mobile apps over websites and web apps.
- Every time, a user loads a mobile app, the data is stored on the device locally, and it makes information accessible without any hassle.
- Mobile apps are highly secured. They integrate with the device’s current security features to give improved security to the users.
- Safe access and information sharing involve a high deal of security in smartphones.
Demerits Of Mobile Apps
1. Maintenance and Support
- Mobile apps need to be updated every time an update is released. Regular bug fixes and update is mandatory to experience the improved version of the mobile app.
- The update and installation are manual.
- The mobile app development process involves a lot of time. Each mobile application needs to be developed from scratch according to the platform.
- Compatibility is an issue.
- A few devices do not support mobile apps because of cross-platforms and different versions.
What Is A Web App?
Web Application is a self-supporting software program that runs on the internet browser. The end-users need not download or install on desktops, tablets, or mobile devices.
Benefits Of Web Apps
- This the most prominent reason to choose a web app. As they are less expensive than mobile apps
- The app is developed once for all operating systems. Thereby cutting costs of developing two or more seperate versions
2. Endless Access
- Web applications are manageable. They can be accessed anywhere and anytime with an internet connection.
- A desktop with a stable internet connection is adequate for accessing the web app.
- It is upfront to customize your web-based applications in comparison with desktop applications.
- Customizing the look and the feel of the web app is straightforward.
- Skilled and experienced web developers will require only minimal time and effort to customize web apps.
4. Support Different Devices
- Web apps update themselves automatically every time an upgrade is released.
- They run on all devices and attune themselves to multiple screen dimensions and platform versions.
- Web apps support all the devices equally as long as there is a stable internet connection.
5. Easy to update
- If you experience a performance glitch or there are typos, you just need to fix the glitch and the typos, and you can push it live.
- By using the web app development process, you can exchange information easily with extended performance.
Demerits Of Web Apps
1. Overhead Size
- It is important to note that web applications function and work slower, unlike native desktop apps.
- The app size will increase as the developers will push the entire web browser with the web application.
2. Does not work offline
- It constantly requires a stable internet connection for the users to use a web app.
3. Lesser features
- The web apps are not listed in the app store, and hence their visibility and discoverability are relatively less.
- Web apps don’t possess advanced features and functionalities, unlike mobile apps.
- Quality and security are not a guaranteed bet as web apps don’t need to be approved by the app store.